Home > Help and Support > Claiming refunds for prescriptions

Claiming refunds for prescriptions

If you have applied for a MatEx or MedEx, you have not yet received your exemption certificate and you need to pay for your prescription, you can ask your pharmacist, hospital or doctor for a refund claim form (FP57) so that you can claim a refund for your prescription charges when you receive your exemption certificate.

However, you MUST ask for form (FP57) at the time you pay for your prescription as you cannot obtain the form later. Also, you have to apply for a refund within three months of paying the prescription charge. The form will explain what you have to do.

If you receive Universal Credit and meet the criteria to be entitled to help with health costs but didn’t get a refund claim form (FP57), contact the NHS Business Services Authority who will consider applications for refunds on a case by case basis.

If you have paid for a prescription prepayment certificate (PPC) and have become exempt from paying for prescriptions, you may be able to get some or all of the money back for your PPC.

Read about how to claim a refund of your PPC fee or call the DH publications order line on 0300 123 0849 for a leaflet.

Read more about who can get free NHS prescriptions or use the eligibility checker.

How useful was this page?

Tap on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this page.

We rely on donations so that we can continue to support and campaign for people with thyroid and related conditions.  If you have found our information helpful, please make a donation or become a member.